Some people really love the cold weather of winter. Enjoy it and time with your friends and family. However, make sure to take time to protect your home against winter weather. Check out these tips from Travelers Insurance. Travelers is one of the leading providers of home insurance. It is not often this is a concern in our area, but the cold front this weekend will bring in that probability. Also, if you have vacant rental property, apartments, or commercial space, now would be a great time to turn the heat on and drip your faucets. Insurance is not perfect, and after commercial property has been vacant for some time coverage for frozen pipes that burst can be excluded. Make sure to do your part to protect your investment. It is wise to do what you can to prevent possible claims on your home insurance as well.
Here are some prevention tips from the article linked above.
- Close inside valves supplying water to outdoor faucets and hookups.
- Open outdoor faucets to allow residual water to drain; be sure to keep them open during the cold weather months, while the water supply is turned off.
- Keep garage doors closed to help protect water pipes located in the garage.
- Open the doors on cabinets where plumbing is located. This can help allow warmer air to circulate around the pipes.
- For pipes that are at risk of freezing (both hot and cold water pipes), let water drip from faucets.
- Keep the heat in your home set at a minimum of 55 degrees.
Hope this helps you protect your home. The insurance policy on your property usually always has a deductible and no one wants to incur extra expenses if they are preventable. Stay warm, drip your pipes and insulate your outside water faucets!
At The Frazer Group, we have a fully licensed insurance team. They are prepared to help you with your home insurance. We have multiple companies to see which one is the best place for your home insurance. When you are ready to check your home insurance, give our team at The Frazer Group a call.